Working for an early-stage startup can be hard. New companies need teams that are agile and active, resilient in the face of setbacks, and cool under pressure. Startup employees wear many hats and need to be dynamic enough to fit wherever they're needed. At the same time, they need to be fearless and opinionated, capable of working on a small team while willing to challenge the status quo.
Needless to say, it isn't easy to hire people who fit that bill. Not only are the right candidates hard to find, the standard interview questions aren't very effective at helping you find them. These 11 questions can help you dig deeper to see whether a candidate is the right fit for a fast-paced startup environment where culture is so crucial. Of course, they might not be as applicable everywhere, so adjust your questions or look for different answers depending on your own work culture.
1. WHAT DID YOU LIKE AND DISLIKE ABOUT YOUR LATEST BOSS?
2. DO YOU WORK DURING YOUR COMMUTE?
3. WOULD YOU RATHER TACKLE ONE TASK AT A TIME OR JUGGLE SEVERAL?
4. HOW WOULD YOU RESPOND IF YOU HAD TO START OVER AFTER GETTING 90% DONE WITH A PROJECT?
5. DO YOU KEEP YOUR WORK EMAIL ON YOUR PERSONAL PHONE?
6. HOW LONG DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION?
7. DO YOU CHECK YOUR EMAIL ON VACATION?
8. WHAT ARE YOU REALLY GREAT AT?
9. WHERE DO YOU STRUGGLE?
10. WHAT DO YOU HATE ABOUT THE WORKPLACE?
11. DO YOU GENERALLY PREFER STRICT STRUCTURE OR FULL CREATIVE AUTONOMY?
To read the full piece, head to Fast Company now.